I picked up a cookbook from Michigan Chef Eric Villegas called Fork in the Road from the library the other day. Villegas had an Emmy-winning series of the same name on PBS celebrating Michigan based foods. It’s a great way to create recipes in your home based on local products.
Tomato Horseradish Rubbed Chicken Breasts
Adapted from pages 68-69 of the Fork in the Road cookbook.
For the Rub:
Makes about 1 1/2 cups
- 4 tbsp. tomato powder*
- 2 tbsp. chili powder
- 2 tbsp. wasabi powder
- 1 tsp. lemon zest
- 4 tbsp. lavender
- 4 tbsp. garlic powder
- 8 tsp. sea salt
1. Combine all ingredients in small bowl.
2. Store the rub in a sealed container preferably away from heat and light in a cool, dark pantry or freezer. The blend will keep for several months.
*If you can’t find tomato powder you can make your own using dry-packaged sun-dried tomatoes. This is the method I used:
Blend 1/3 c. of dry packaged chopped sun-dried tomatoes in a blender until fine and powdered. Sift out seeds and large flakes over a bowl and reserve remaining powder. Discard seeds and and large flakes.
For the Vegetables and Chicken:
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, preferably from Michigan
- 4 tbsp. Tomato Horseradish Rub
- 5 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 4 large red potatoes, cooked, cooled and quartered
- 2 whole portabella mushroom caps, stemmed and cut in half
- 2 whole Roma tomatoes, cored and quartered
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 1/2 lemon
- sea salt, to taste
- freshly ground pepper, to taste
1. Mix 2 tablespoons of the rub with 2 tablespoons of the oilive oil until well blended. Coat each chicken breast thoroughly with the paste. Cover and place in refrigertor at least 30 minutes or ovenight.
2. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
3. Juice the lemon into a mixing bowl, toss with mixed vegetables and remaining olive oil. Season with the remaining 3 tablespoons of rub, one of the rosemary sprigs and additional salt and pepper if needed. Toss until well mixed.
4. Place the vegetables on a large baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Roast in the oven for 10-12 minutes.
5. Carefully remove the sheet from the oven and place the seasoned chicken breast on the baking sheet with the cooking vegetables.
6. Return the sheet to the oven and roast for another 15-18 minutes or until the juices in the chicken run clear.
7. Carefully remove the baking sheet from the oven and garnish with lemon and a rosemary sprig.
8. Serve immediately.